This course provides the 4-hours of
Power to Arrest and the 4 hours of Weapons of Mass Destruction
training required by the CA State BSIS to apply for a Guard Card. The course is the first step
of the three step process to getting a CA State Guard Card.
Three Steps to Getting a Guard Card:
- Step 1: Take this 8-hour course and receive certificate
- Step 2: Submit CA State Online Security Guard Application
- Step 3: Get Fingerprints taken by a Live Scan Operator
(8-Hour BSIS Guard Card Course) -
Power to Arrest & Weapons of Mass Destruction
Course Overview: The Power to Arrest and Weapons of Mass Destruction Course consists of four (4) hours of training in both of the following two (2) subjects:
Power to Arrest - 4 Hours
familiarize and instruct the individual on the training
topics delineated at Business and Professions Code
section 7583.7, including, without limitation, legal
aspects, techniques, liability, and company requirements
relating to the arrest of an individual. The training
will utilize the Department of Consumer Affairs' Power
to Arrest Training Manual and may include lecture,
discussion, exercises and role-playing.
- Overview of Power to Arrest Manual and subject matter.
- Definition of arrest and discussion on the implications to the subject, the guard and the company.
- Lecture/discussion on escalation and de-escalation techniques in the use of force.
- Lecture/discussion in the use of restraint techniques and their implications.
- Discussion of trespass laws and implications of enforcement.
- Completion of the Power to Arrest Online Training Course Test.
WMD & Terrorism Awareness - 4 hours
Objective: To familiarize
and instruct the individual on the subject matter and
observation skills required to identify and report precursor activities to a terrorist
appropriately, report the occurrence of a terrorist
event, and remain safe while helping control the scene
after a terrorist event. The training will utilize the
Department of Consumer Affairs' Weapons of Mass
Destruction & Terrorism Awareness for Security
Professionals course consisting of a Digital Video Disk
(DVD), Student Workbook and Facilitator Manual.
- Introduction and overview of the training.
- The Role of a Security Officer.
- The Nature of Terrorism.
- Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD).
- Coordinating and Sharing of Critical Information.