Go to Guard Card Page
Go to PSO Training Page
Go to Guard Card Jobs Page
Go to All Courses
Click Here to Log in
Click Here to Register for Guard Card Training
Go to Guard Card About Page
Go to Guard Card Training Contact Page

See our full information on PSOs

Proprietary Private Security Employer (PSE) Information

Any individual, partnership, corporation or limited liability company who employs one or more employees to provide security services for that employer and only for that employer is required by the State of California to register with the Bureau of Security and investigative Services (BSIS) as a Proprietary Private Security Employer (PSE). 

This law went into effect on January 1, 2011.

A PSE may NOT contract out the services of their security guards (PSOs), that is the main difference between a Private Patrol Operator (PPO) and a PSO.

If you are a night club, bar, restaurant, hotel, gym, entertainment or sports venue, or any other type of business that has security guards on your payroll, rather than hired out through a Private Patrol Operator (PPO), then you are required by law to be registered as a PSE.

- CA State BSIS PSE Fact Sheet -

Night Club Sign

How do I get a PSE registration?  
To apply for a proprietary private security employer registration, the applicant must submit the CA State BSIS APPLICATION FOR PROPRIETARY PRIVATE SECURITY EMPLOYER along with a $350.00 application fee to the Bureau of Security and Investigative Services, P.O. Box 989002, West Sacramento, CA 95798-9002. When you fill out the application, please put the following information on the application where it refers to the required training for the PSO's.

Training info for PSE License Application

The only requirement is that you have a current CA State Business License.

For additional information, consult the State of California Business and Professions Code (CHAPTER 11.4. PROPRIETARY SECURITY SERVICE). The PSE registration is good for 2 years.

Frequently Asked Questions about PSEs 

  • Am I responsible for making sure my PSOs have completed their BSIS required training? Yes, as a PSE, you must keep the required training certificates for all of your PSOs on file at all times.  It is not the responsibility of the PSO, and they cannot be fined for non-compliance.  The responsibility is on the PSE to ensure that their PSOs complete the required training.  It is the PSE that can be fined or have their license revoked by the BSIS of their PSOs have not completed the require training.

  • Can I get discounted training if I sign up multiple employees?  TwoProtect Training Institute just one of a handful of companies that are now certified by the Bureau of Security and Investigative Services (BSIS) to offer the full 16-Hours of CA State required PSO training. Company discounts if you sign up 5 or more employees for training. 

    Please contact us for PSO training discounts for PSEs.  The standard price for the required 16-hours of PSO training is $65.00 from TwoProtect Training Institute. More PSO Training Information.

  • What if an employee or potential applicant already has a CA State Guard Card? Then they DO NOT need to get a PSO registration.  The CA State Guard Card allows them to work for any PSE or PPO. In this case, the PSE is responsible to keep the training certificates for the employee's guard card (32-hours for first year and 8-hours of refresher training each additional year) on file, similar to how they would keep the training records of any employees with a PSO license.

  • How do I know that all this information offered by TwoProtect Training Institute is legitimate?  You can see all the exact same information on the BSIS website:  BSIS PSE Fact Sheet





Guard card training Guard card training